Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Happy New Year's!

Hello everyone!

I hope you all had a great New Year's Eve and Day with family and friends. How's everyone's goals? Realistic? Centered on self-improvement and helping others? Will your goals for this year bring you closer to Christ?

Anyways, this weekend we had transfers. My trainer, Elder Lugo, was sent to Mazatlan, and Elder Uicab was assigned to be my companion. I'll be directing the work here and in charge of teaching him and showing him the area. He's from Cancun, and has 12 months in the mission. He's our new district leader. I'll attach a picture of us.

So this week has been a bit busy and crazy with the holidays. It's been hard to find new people. A lot of people left to visit family or went out so the work was really slow on Dec. 31st and Jan. 1st. Here's the weekly update, day by day:

So Tuesday, not too much happened. We continued to paint a member's house this morning. We had our weekly district meeting, we visited a few families, and made appointments for another day because we were short on time. I tried making some contacts and messed up really bad. Flat-out rejected. I made some mistakes but Elder Lugo helped me to learn from them. 

Wednesday, we finished painting!! Afterwards, we tried contacting again. The reason we're trying to contact so much is because we have a zone-wide goal to have 25 contacts in one week, per companionship. In 2 hours, we were unable to contact anyone. No luck. Afterwards, we decided to invite a member to accompany us to a few lessons. She accepted and we went to the appointments. The appointments fell through so we decided to contact for the rest of the day, which was about 3-4 hours. So we walked for several hours, searching and searching, but not to much luck. Only three contacts. I think we walked about 15km that day, with our backpacks weighing us down a bit. Some people were deliberately rude to us but we continued on patiently and diligently. One woman actually saw us and turned around a ran away. So this day was tough and tiring but we kept the faith.

Thursday, New Year's Eve, we went to a member's house in a different area. We ate carne asada, quesadillas, frijoles charros, and salchichas. We went home at 9:30pm with our extended curfew. I got home, drank my sparkling apple cider (NON-ALCOHOLIC), and chatted with Elder Lugo until midnight. We wanted to stay up to hear the gunshots in the air to celebrate the New Year. Honestly, it sounded like World War III lol. I set my goals for the New Year and went to bed around 12:3am. The gunshots lasted for about 45 minutes.

Friday, we went back to the same member's house to eat brunch. We ate leftovers. Then returned to our area to eat lunch with another member. And homemade flan!! After lunch, we visited some investigators we have, I challenged the 3 of them with baptism, and they all accepted. Then, we visited Felipe Beltran, taught the Plan of Salvation, then we visited the Fam. Burgueños. We taught the dad and his son about prophets. Elder Lugo and I worked in sync with the Spirit and in unity. I know they felt the Spirit too.

Saturday, we found out about transfers. We visited some families, taught a few lessons, and we went home.

Sunday, we went to church. Our schedule changed from 12pm-3pm to 9am-12pm. Afterwards, we ate with the Fam. Guerrero Gaxiola, then another lunch with a member. We visited a lot of families so that Elder Lugo could say goodbye. I think in total we visited 8 families. Of course we took pictures with each family too. To end the night, we visited the Fam. Velarde, our neighbors. They're members of the Church. The father of the family, Hector, had his parents visiting, and so while my companion was playing and talking with Cindy, Grecia, and Andrew, Hector's parents were asking me about the church and missionaries. I taught them by myself. I answered all their questions, and I made sure to follow the Spirit. I know the Spirit helped me by putting the words I needed to say in my mouth in the right moment. I explained a lot of doctrine of the Church, and the whole time I was teaching, I was thinking of Colossians 4:6. Although my Spanish isn't perfect or really good, I know that I wasn't alone teaching. The Holy Ghost was with me and testified of eternal truths. 

Well, I think that's all for this week. I'll talk to you all next week! 

Love,
Elder Finkner

No comments:

Post a Comment